View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 05:34 AM   #32
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why do ppl always say Duran moved up 2 weightclasses to beat Leonard?

Duran moved up to 147 at the age of 26, a similar age to Napoles, Mayweather and Whitaker. They're all shorter guys who carry the weight well enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
"Green" Leonard had already ran through a half-dozen welterweight contenders and beaten Benitez on the big stage at Caesar's Palace. "Green" Leonard didn't fight his fight. Angelo tells it, prior to the first bout:

"Duran's a heel-to-toe guy, he takes two steps to get to you. So the idea is don't give him the two steps, don't move too far away. The more distance you give Duran, the more effective he is. What you don't do against aggression is run from it, because then he picks up momentum. My guy won't run from him."

"He's soft. Leonard's the puncher in this fight. I think he's going to knock him out in 10 or 11 rounds because Duran hasn't destroyed anybody as a Welterweight... Ray's going to nail him. Ray's going to stop him in his tracks with the jab. Leonard's got so much talent they haven't seen it yet."
On that basis you must consider Duran prime and peak for Dejesus 1?

**** poor gameplan wasn't it, boxing and moving was clearly the foil to get the win over Duran, I suppose Dundee thought Leonard was the bigger stronger guy, wrong wasn't he?
PowerPuncher is offline  Top