View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #34
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why do ppl always say Duran moved up 2 weightclasses to beat Leonard?

I'm not sure if Duran was past prime as a 29yo with what many consider a career best performance. Leonard was faster and taller/rangier but not stronger, Duran was stronger and he filled the 147lb weight with plenty of functional strength, it suited him in that sense

Leonard was physically in his prime and was in no way green, he had plenty of quality wins already, some wins are underrated like Mayweather and Shields. I'd contend though he was not yet in his ring smart prime, which is something people forget when talking 'prime for prime'

I'd say the type of fight Montreal was, which didn't require as much movement suited him better than the rematch which needed allot of foot movement. Ultimately the 2 fights showed Duran showed he was the more skilled fighter in range, Leonard showed he had more stamina and the legs to outspeed/outbox if he didn't look to 'fight' Duran. You could argue Duran was past prime at 147 and would have had the legs at 135, which may or may not be true. Still at 135 when he chased down Buchannan he didn't have the same refined skill set he later developed
PowerPuncher is offline  Top