Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #95
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Classic James Toney stuff from 1993 haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Toney would be able to find Eubank, but he wouldn't be able to hurt and vice versa.
Eubank couldn't take body punches. It's the reason he was hitting and holding against Benn II, so Benn couldn't go to the body. It also explains why he turned down the McCallum fight.
Quote:
No a counter puncher doesn't always need a speed advantage - Holyfield was not faster than Tyson, yet he countered him all night.
That was due to Tyson being so predictable and telegraphing his left hooks.

To be a counter puncher you have to wait for opponent to commit to a punch then exploit the opening his offense provides. Eubank wasn't even able to do that consistently against a plodder like Collins
Quote:
Toney wasn't that much quicker than Eubank - For instance Roy Jones would be too fast for Eubank to counter - Toney isn't.
Who did Eubank fight who was as fast as Toney?
He had his hands full with slow Collins
Quote:
I find it laughable that you mention Eubank's did struggle with Steve Collins and Joe Calzaghe - but what do they have in common with James Toney?
I said that Eubank's footwork was sloppy and I gave fights which highlighted that fact: Collins and Calzaghe.

He squared himself up and got dropped by a pillow fisted Collins. He also was lunging and off balance when he got dropped by Calzaghe.

Quote:
You also fail to mention Toney's fights with Thadzi, Griffin and Tiberi where he got beat. Seems you definitely have it out for Eubank
LHW Toney was not as good as smw Toney, for obvious reasons

Dave Tiberi was on the same level as Collins who beat Eubank twice.

Griffin would of beat Eubank, especially with Futch in his corner

Toney won the Thadzi fight and got robbed. Just like Thornton "the punching postman" beat Eubank and got robbed or how about club fighter Schommer who also beat Eubank and got robbed.
Quote:
Anyways, I see similarities between Eubank and Griffin - and while Toney's fights with Griffin could have gone either way, over 24 rounds he struggled with him no doubt. Griffin was no better than Eubank, and I see Toney struggling here as well.
Griffin while he was with Futch was better than Eubank, which is why he had two wins over Toney(HOFer) and a win over prime Jones(ATG). No win of Eubank's can compare to those.

Griffin was not that similar to Eubank either.
Quote:
By the way, this fight would be at SMW - not MW where Toney was at his best
?????????
Eubank was at his best at mw, he slipped a number of steps when he moved to smw, which is why he struggled with most of his opponents no matter how mediocre they were.

Last edited by general zod; 12-03-2012 at 09:51 AM.
general zod is offline  Top