Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #97
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Classic James Toney stuff from 1993 haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Regardless, Eubank was extremely tough, and the only time he didn't finish a fight was when he was past his best, fighting 20 pounds above his natural weight. Toney isn't stopping Eubank, simple as that.
I never said he would. You are the one you claimed that Toney couldn't hurt Eubank
Quote:
Regardless, my point stands.
How? By using a case of Evander fighting a predictable Tyson who was throwing single shots at a time?
Quote:
Griffin was able to have success counter-punching against Roy Jones, and Jones is probably the fastest LHW of all time, and he was as unpredictable as they come.
You obviously have not watched that fight
Quote:
Hopkins had success counter-punching Joe Calzaghe who was also unpredictable.
Maybe I was watching another fight where Hopkins was throwing right hand LEADS then clinching
Quote:
ok thanks for the tip coach - I'll bare it in mind when I'm sparring tomorrow
I find it strange when people go out of their way to claim certain things. I have never felt any need to highlight my martial arts background here. In fact I would say it was quite irrelevant. Either what I say makes sense or it does not
Quote:
Nigel Benn
Hell no
Benn tended to load up on his punches
Quote:
Neither of those guys
What are you talking about? I named the Collins and Calzaghe fights as examples where Eubank's footwork was sloppy.
Quote:
Why? LHW Toney didn't have to cut excessive amounts of weight to make 168
Do you think walking into the ring carrying excess fat hinders you or helps you?
Quote:
you think Dave Tiberi would be able to give Mike Mccallum a good hard fight like Collins did?
McCallum was not a big hitter at mw. I'm sure quite a few tough limited natural mw's would of been able to go the distance with him. Doesn't mean they were anywhere near as good as him.

I'm sure Tiberi could of gone the distance with McCallum. If he could take Toney's punches then he could take Mccallum's
Quote:
You think Dave Tiberi could fight Reggie Johnson to an SD?
Please stop boxrecing
Reggie Johnson clearly won that fight. You would now that if you actually watched it
Quote:
Quite possibly, but Griffin was a natural LHW, Eubank started his career at MW - There isn't much between them
Griffin would of out-boxed him.
The fact that they made their pro debuts at different weight classes is irrelevant here, especially with Griffin being such a small lhw.
Quote:
Toney didn't get robbed against Thadzi, that was a close fight that many feel Thadzi edged on work-rate.
The only people I have ever come across who claim that tend to be Toney haters.
Quote:
Toney-Thadzi is no robbery. But regardless, Toney also has two losses to club fighters in Thadzi and Tiberi - both guys were prone to off nights. For the sake of a mythical H2H match up, I'm looking at both guys on their best nights
You are the one who brought up Toney's losses to Thadzi and Tiberi

Dave Tiberi was not a club fighter either. A club fighter would be someone like Dan Schommer
Quote:
How much stock do you put in Griffin's win over Jones?
A solid win for Griffin. Jones deserved to get dqed
Quote:
Most feel he got fortunate under the circumstances and whilst I had Griffin winning at that point, it looked like Jones was going to stop him before long. Fighters have gotten away with worse than what Roy got DQ'd for.
Maybe and maybe not.
Quote:
??^%&@**??

In the video above Toney is calling out Eubank when they're both at SMW!

??$%^@:**???
Here we go again
your post
Quote:
By the way, this fight would be at SMW - not MW where Toney was at his best
Eubank was at his best at mw as well

Eubank was done as a world class fighter after the Watson I fight. He refused to train properly and by the time of the Schommer fight he was only training one week before fights. It's the reason he struggled with almost everyone at smw

Compare their performances against Thornton. Toney toyed with Thornton and carried him to the end of the fight. Eubank struggled and should of lost that fight
general zod is offline  Top