View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #22
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: That old cliché that fans from a certain neck of the woods 'know their boxing'

alrigt lads, sorry I made this thread and didnt get back to anyone, I was starting to feel a bit iffy when I put it in, & have been in my sickbed since! One of those nasty wee viruses where you just want to sleep all the time, & can concentrate on nothing! Im still struggling with it just now, but as I say, im not slating any fanbase, cos IMO out of everyone the irish know their boxing the most. It was just a good time to ask as a knowledgeable crowd were booing a tough fight on paper for Fury, so I just thought I would throw a question that has nagged me about this perception that a 'crowd' knows its boxing.

Some fine answers though, especially about the new breed of cokehead fans, & the type of fan Fury attracts. However, would it be right to think that the Belfast fans maybe just dont see Fury as truly one of their own yet cos he was born in England, & speaks with a manc accent? Not a loaded question, just an honest one.

Me personally, I see Fury more as an irishman than an englishman, hes so steeped in fighting tradition & just comes accross as a pure celt(for the young scottish lads here celt means celt, & not a Celtic fan as some of you think when I mention the word) to me.

Am I veering off a bit? Maybe! Im still unwell though, so thats my excuse
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top