View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #32
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What did boxing look like when you first got into it? (nostalgia thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael300 View Post
No silly name calling, no keyboard warrior posts, just memories of boxing; your comments about your Grandad really resonated with me.

I really miss mine, lost him too young nearly twenty years a go, I used to watch Laurel and Hardy with him.

Still watch them now, actually bought a big boxset of their films just the other day
Sorry to hear mate. Mine died back in 2009, so I was lucky to get to spend so much time with him really. I wish he'd been computer literate; he'd have loved it over on the Classic forum with some of the elder lemons on there and would've added a lot to it. His family were from Merthyr Tydfil and I always wanted to take him there to see the statues of Howard Winstone and Johnny Owen, but he disliked traveling and was generally too ill to go far. Owen's fate really knocked the stuffing out of him.

I've seen a lot of live stand up that I love and god knows how many funny films and sitcoms, but I can't get past Stan and Ollie. Sweeping statements usually get on my wick, so it's odd that I never tire of believing (or saying) that Stan Laurel was the funniest man to ever draw breath.

Tin_Ribs is offline  Top