View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #33
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What did boxing look like when you first got into it? (nostalgia thread)

My first boxing memory was Errol Christie vs Mark Kaylor. I would have been 12 years old at the time, cant remember much about it except I wanted Christie to win, I remember not liking Kaylor, dunno why, he just annoyed me! Anyway Kaylor won, & I still remember the feeling of disappointment and sadness! I dont remember if it was live, or highlights or what, but thats my first boxing memory.

second memory, being on holiday in Butlins & the shock when Barry McGuigan lost. Everyone from the top to the bottom of Britain & beyond had a love affair with the guy, he was the Hatton of his day looking back. I remember watching highlights or clips of the fight on the news, I cannot be sure which, in utter shock at seeing Barry McGuigan hitting the canvas! surely not, but I was quickly consoled by adults everywhere telling anyone who would listen "The heat beat barry, not his opponent" & to this day, its still commonly believed Cruz didnt beat Barry, but infact it was the sun wot did it

Then the 90's, buying glossy boxing mags, putting posters from KO & Ring magazine up on the wall, I had a poster of the guy who beat Johnny Nelson James ****** alongside james Toney, Herbie Hide etc taking pride of place on my poorly decorated by myself wall, back then a colour poster was amazing, as the tabloids still mainly posted black & white pics of boxing! I could go on & on, but thats just a snippet of my early life as a boxing fan.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top