View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 02:58 AM   #18
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1894
Default Re: Did Pavlik destroy Mirandas career?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
Being in a close fight with Winky Wright at that time is nothing short of phenomenal. And to be in a close fight with Winky Wright at that point in time ment Taylor was almost as elite as it gets imo. I actually think Wright in many ways out fought Hopkins and a case can be made that he won the fight, which I think he did. The fight with Spinks was a tough fight but Spinks was amazing also and is underrated. The second fight Taylor had with Pavlik was a closer type fight but Pavlik still gave him a good battering.

After the fights with Pavlik Taylors greatest achievement is being up in a fight late with Froch. Now maybe Pavlik did not damage Taylor but there is a noticable pattern with boxers after Pavlik puts a beat down on them. Is it just coincidence? That is possible but there seems to be a pattern of boxers not performing as well and getting knocked out more often or retireing after they fight Pavlik. Its not suprising many boxers he knocks out are out before they hit the floor.
But what would you consider not performing as well to be?

Miranda was only a contender....and remained a viable contender quite sometime afterwards, and remained a guy that could only knock out lower level guys..

Zuniga was a low-level gatekeeper and remains one today.

Lockett could have continued on back on the domestic level (which would have been the same level he was competing on before that joke of a mandatory), but like I said, he probably just didn't want to.

Rubio seems to be doing ok, upper level gatekeeper.

Onto Taylor....Now, I didn't say Pavlik didn't damage Taylor, and time a heavy handed guy lays hands on you like that you endure some damage, I said he didn't ruin him...and really like I said Taylor was looking pretty weak and vulnerable before hand (you left out Ouma...that was NOT an impressive performance) BTW, if you're going to call Taylor as "elite as it gets at the time" if thats the case, I'm sorry he shouldn't be struggling with Spinks either.

Last edited by WatchfortheHook; 12-05-2012 at 03:09 AM.
WatchfortheHook is offline  Top