Old 12-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #39
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs Lennox Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Haye ****ed on his opportunity I had 20 just for interest but he settled for going the distance. Wlad has the talent his brother lacks but neither the mental toughness or the chin,imo.
Both nice guys I should think ,great ambasssadors for the sport etc, but boring and not ATG's for me.
Lewis was underwhelming on occasion too but, stylistically he is a nightmare for most every other heavy champ imo.
Lewis would have eaten Wach like a piece of cake ,apart from toughness and heart, he showed me nothing.
I think i agree with most of your post.

I normally dont like to call eras weak, and to be consistent I think that Wlad deserves credit for the long term dominance he has shown. Outside of Vitali, he has cleaned this division as good as any previous champion, imo. And held the title as long as most. But, i am sure it isnt just nostalgia that says this is a weak era. In fact, not only do i think it a weak era, but i dare say i cant see the era as being in the same class as any other era.

I mean, for the first time pretty much ever, it seems like ever single challenger or top 10 heavyweight is at least 40lbs overweight. NOne of the top 10 fighters bother to fight each other, and even worse the heavyweight champion is no longer seen as the baddest man on the planet. It is bad enough that we lose our most promising "athletes" to basketball football athletics etc, but no we are even starting to lose the most promising fighters to wrestling, mma, etc.

Add to this is that a fighter like Vitali (who is the only real challenge for Wlad) has dominated this division even after peaking as a fighter and taking time off for a serious injury. It wouldnt be so bad, but a close to prime Vitali, no matter what positive signs can be put on it, was stopped by TKO by probably the worst version of Lennox Lewis to ever fight. And dont forget old versions of guys who were not that good in their own era, like Maskaev, or Rahman seem to be still good enough to beat solid contenders and earn title shots or even win alphabet titles.

And dont forget the fragile chin (and it really does seem to be fragile, as opposed to Lennox's even though Lennox was stopped twice) With all these factors, i really dont see Wlad being in the same class at Lennox, despite his excellent legacy. I think that Wlad loses head to head to most if not all alltime great fighters that precede him. He just isnt experienced enough in taking punishment, and against a great you will need to, no matter who you are. To be fair, i do expect him to cuase a few viscious upsets by KO, but they will be few and far between and often even reversed in a rematch, imo.
Boilermaker is offline  Top