View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #62
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran a top-10 All Time Great?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
A "whole lot of contemporaries" think that Frazier and Ali were "only in one good fight" and that Liston "wasn't that good?" I doubt it very much.
Don't rip my words out of context. I said they viewed heavyweight division as a whole as bad all the time, filled with undeserving, slow, skillless, plodding, out-of-shape fighters. Again, not all of them, but most of them were seen as such.

Quote:
Might be reasonable, i'm not sure. It wouldn't stop him being an excellent contender which is the way he is generally viewed these days.
These days - because the era has been being hyped for over 30 years as the golden one. Look up how Norton was viewed before first Ali's fight and for a while after that, and he was seen as no better than, say, Glen Johnson, if not worse - a journeyman, B-level fighter at best. The hype made him IBHoF worthy all a sudden. Had we had a time machine and transfered the people who voted him in (ie voted an ATG) back into 1970s, they'd be turned over to mental hospital for such claims.

Quote:
I have yet to read an era Ring opinion that views the HW division as strong. In the 90's, it was weak, Charles era, very weak, Louis era, weak, there are articles that claim boxing is dying due to the weakness of the HW division almost from the moment it was in print.

Either it was never strong even relative to itself or something else is going on.

You need to look a good deal further and farther than Ring to understand what was really happening.
I fully understand that the Ring magazine's opinion wasn't the only one that should be considered. But they were similiar to a lot of other publications and experts in that they might praise other weight divisions as deep and rich, comes another era, they pointed out that it was weak and lacking talent. With heavyweights, there almost never was any praise. Not because they didn't like the division, they spent most of the time talking about heavyweights in their analytical write-ups and gossips, it was simply that - bad compared to other weights.

Quote:
Ali's resume is superb, and Ring magazine will almost certainly agree with me.
Superb for a heavyweight, that's at least debatable. Compared to the very best fighters from other divisions his resume is awful. And head to head he didn't show himself *that* great (as compared to Duran, for example) to be deserving such high ratings on a P4P basis.
Senya13 is offline  Top