View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #266
JeanPaulValley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 438
Default Re: Best cherry pickers of all time.

[quote=McGrain;14338797]
  • Quote:
    How Mercer can be said to have beaten Lewis despite punch stats weighed heavily against him.
  • Old Mercer beat Lewis. Punchstats? What like the HBO compubox which is endlessly criticized and insulted? Please. The people know. I know because I watch that fight. Even Holyfield said Mercer won.
  • Quote:
    How Holyfield can be said to have beaten Lewis despite punch stats weighed against him
    Once again punch stats are from an unreliable computer. Boxing existed years without compubox just fine.
  • ARE WE SURE ABOUT THIS? LEWIS OUTHUSTLED AND OUTPUNCHED IN REMATCH
by Doug Krikorian

"Lennox Lewis wound up winning a unanimous decision against Evander HolyfieldSaturday evening at the Thomas & Mack Center, but this time many observers - including this one - didn't think he deserved it. In fact, for a large portion of a fierce brawl marked by dramatic ebbs and flows, Holyfield outhustled, outslugged and out-thought his plodding opponent and almost sent him to the canvas in a classic seventh round that had the crowd of 17,916 in a shrieking uproar... The punch statistics favored Lewis, with Lewis credited with throwing 490 and connecting on 195, compared to 416 and 137 for Holyfield. But these numbers are unreliable, since they're rung up at ringside by two guys punching computer buttons."

Quote:
Why many lists that appear on the 'met have Lewis in their top ten ("they're on crack" isn't a reasonable response)
Let me tell you. Lewis resume on paper is brilliant. When you look into the circumstances of his fights it gets shady. If people rank him based on paper resume,they're dumb.

Quote:
What sort of respect you have for a fighter like Gary Mason or Glen Johnson given that you see Lennox Lewis's career as "a joke".
I love Glen Johnson because he was a warrior willing to fight guys under any circumstances. He didnt wait until his opponents was on drugs or old.

Quote:
Why you've cherry-picked Ring articles and stats that agree with you whilst continuing to ignore the Ring rankings that clearly paint Lewis as one of the greats
No one who knows the circumstances behind the scenes think Lewis was so great. Lewis was so very lucky. Who wouldn't want Lionel Butler for a title eliminator?
Butler was a crack-cocaine addict!

Quote:
And this doesn't even take into account some of your most bizarre claims, including that Tyson-Lewis shouldn't have happened in spite of defeaning calls in the boxing industry to the contrary at the time.
There were many reports that Tyson wasn't in shape,wasn't mentally prepared etc Tyson-Lewis should not have happened. Tyson was a drug addict and was 10 years past his prime. He also hadnt had a meaningful win since what? Seldon or Bruno? Tyson's fights before Lewis should were not enough to warrant a title shot. Lewis just wanted a name on his resume-even if the name was of a washed up drug addict.
JeanPaulValley is offline  Top