View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #9
DREAMCATCHER
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Your top 10 Eastern European HW'S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis VanDamme View Post
I would rank both Chagaev and Ibragimov ahead of Golota, there is no way he would beat two southpaws with better fundamentals.

I'll say it, somebody like Pulev today might have given Golota all he could handle.
Golota is a strange one...

In those 2 Bowe fights he dominated one of the best HWs of the era!

In his prime he was an Elite-Level talented fighter but also a mental midget, no one denies it. Past prime he improved mentally but his great jab was gone with an accident and a serious chunk of his athleticism was just gone with time.

He still should be a champ in the division abandoned by Lewis and not yet taken over by K2 but he was shamefully robbed vs Ruiz and the Byrd fight was very debateable too, Hardly anyone denies that! Great fight though..

His fight with the giant american Corey Sanders was just an absolute slugfest, he was impressive vs Witherspoon (Who to this day swears golota hit him harder than any fighter ever!) and if he had committed more in the fight with michael grant he would have took him out early too, the bowe fights are 2 of my favourite HW clashes ever so for that he always has me as a fan but ultimately he fought on way past his best and just couldn't get it together!

Had his head always been in tact, he would surely be knocking on or just below the lewis/Klitschkos level, but it wasn't. That's all there is to it.

Last edited by DREAMCATCHER; 12-06-2012 at 05:21 AM.
DREAMCATCHER is offline  Top