View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #82
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210
Default Re: Is Roberto Duran a top-10 All Time Great?

Ali-Frazier 2 only served to prove which of the two had been less a "has been".

Ali-Frazier 3 being "arguably the most beloved HW title fight in history" is the hype. It was a horrible fight to watch. Take out Ali and Frazier and replace them with two unknown heavyweights, and if they had given the same performance as Ali and Frazier did, it'd be called one of the worst heavyweight fights of the year. You have probably seen the semi-recent thread about this bout at CBZ forum.

Being a major force in 1979 heavyweight division? Wow, that means a lot! I suppose you picked up an early 1974 article, ie between Ali 2 and Foreman? Ali's words about Norton being the best (better than Moore, Liston, Patterson, Frazier, Foreman) are pure BS, that can't be taken seriously. Look up what Ali was saying about Ken before Norton I, between Norton I and Norton II and for a while after Norton II.

As I said before in this thread, Norton is somewhere in between the mediocre and the good, depending how you look at it. Being called one of the worst title holders in heavyweight history certainly doesn't show much respect for him as a boxer, and not just for him as a titlist.

I don't know what else you can call Glen Johnson. A boxer, who is doing the best that his abilities allow him, but due to being limited, being very inconsistent and only being able to outwork (not outbox) either shot great fighters or second-tier contenders.

What? I said 1970s, notice the 's'. Meaning any period of the 1970's, including after the Holmes bout. Anybody back then who would make a claim that Norton would be inducted in a boxing hall of fame (where ATG boxers are supposed to be) would be laughed at at best. That modern historians, or some of them voted him in, only shows that the whole Ali hype has worked very well, and now nearly every fighter that Ali faced is seen as a better fighter than they really were. Norton was inducted in 1992. Ahead of plenty of more deserving fighters. Was Ken Norton better/mode deserving than, say, Joey Giardello, Joe Brown or Nicolino Loche?

I didn't say otherwise. To me, that was a robbery. I had Young taking 10 rounds and Norton 4, with last round even.

It's been a long time since I watched these last time, but look up the rounds where Ali started to move around the ring, rather than plod around. Norton was clueless in those rounds. He was clueless vs Young. He was clueless was punchers. He lacked cleverness and ability to adjust.

Head to head Ali was better than Leonard and Gans? This is the end of our conversation. Adieu!
Senya13 is offline  Top