Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #40
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jeffries v Quarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
As I told you Jeffries who wasn’t always aggressive and sometimes had a conservative approach given the distance of his fights produced a knockdown in all of his fights, save his lame comeback effort when he was 35, had to lose 80+ and had not fought in 6 years. He wasn’t always aggressive like say Marciano or Frazier were. And his record has the least amount of .500 fighters of any champion in the division, meaning he didn’t fatten his KO record with tomato cans.

Knocking a man unconscious is a rare thing in boxing, particularly once you pass the journeyman level, but take note, Jeffries KO’d Fitz cold, and had Corbett out like a log until the count ended. He destroyed Munroe and Everett ( both of whom were in their prime ) faster than any one. Jackson was out like a puppet who’s strings had be cut, a mess in the ropes and could not have made to his own corner unassisted. The police stoppage you ascertain for Jackson needs a qualifier, but I don’t expect fair minded reporting form you. Corbett in the 2nd fight would not have lasted another round. In fact there are news reads that say he was down for a long count.

Rickard said Jeffries hit harder than Dempsey. Now do you think Dempsey was just a “ solid puncher “ ? Of Coues not! Your double standard and agenda will not play with anyone familiar on the subject material.

Very few knowdegeable fight fans will say Quarry hit harder. In fact almost none will. And the vast majority will say Jeffries hit hard than Quarry.

What round did he knock down Armstrong in ?
Everett was on his feet at the finish the referee intervened.
He had beaten no one of any note at this time, and 8 months previously he had lost to Young Peter Jackson a welterweight, Everett was kod clean 9 times in his career.He was never a top fighter.

Jack Munroe ? Is this really the best you can do?

Jackson was an alcoholic, consumptive who was 37 years old, he had been retired for 3 years, .GET REAL . Fight stopped by Police.

Are you aware that Jackson was beaten up in training for the Jeffries fight by his trainer Patsy Corrigan ,Corrigan was an ex lightweight!

Prior to this Jackson had been floored by Jim Corbett's brother Harry in a saloon a couple of doors down from Corbett's poolroom, this was on Nov 3rd 1897. Previously he had come second in a fight with local tough Jim McMahon,on both occasions Jackson was drunk.

I've never said Quarry hit harder than Jeffries,I said Jeffries was a solid puncher but not a top flight one,and that Quarry may have had comparable power.

You've produced NOTHING that makes even a half - coherent rebuttal.
You waste my time.
mcvey is offline  Top