View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #69
Quincy K
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: If Floyd Mayweather Jr fought in the 80's, he'd be one of the FAB. It'd be the Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Like I have said many times. At a weight (154) Duran fans say he was too small for or washed up, he fought there in 1978 before Leonard,Hearns and Benitez did and Hearns and Benitez beat him easily there. This is why I comment on Duran. I think he is great, but I think he gets overrated because of excuses to explain losses where he could not deal with speed. Leonard (the only elite great he ever beat-yet then lost in the two rematches easily) showed that the blueprint to beat Duran was speed same as the blueprint to beat Hearns was pressure. That is being objective, since I love Tommy, but that was the blueprint Hagler showed to beat Hearns.
although duran did not bring his hands of stones up with him to the higher weights(154+) he still was successful to a certain extent.

he beat a prime barkley(who would beat anyone today at 154 and walk down mayweather) as well as fighting hagler extremely competitive for 15 rounds and ruining davey moore.

as for hagler/hearns that was not a blueprint.

that was hagler suffering a cut that he knew would eventually end the fight and he went for the ko.

emmanuel still believes that tommy was kod because he had his legs massaged immediately prior to the fight which weakened his legs.
Quincy K is offline  Top