View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #78
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fights or Fighters you remember that "evolved" the skill sets in MMA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Ken Shamrock was a submission wrestler. Ken was not an elite level, Olympic accepted style of, wrestler. I think he wrestled in high school. He certainly wasn't on the level of Servern, Coleman, or Couture. Severn jumped into the UFC on a couple weeks notice, with very little knowledge of submissions, after several DAYS of training against workout partners trying to punch and kick him(with gloves on) as he tried to take them down.

No one watched the first 3 UFCs and thought "Wow, look at this Shamrock guy. He is proving wrestling is for real!!!" Wrestling was looked at differently after UFC IV and V, and it was all due to Freddie Mercury.

i agree but id just like to add that ken was actually a very good freestyle wrestler. its not common knowledge but he actually trialled for the olympics on a dare whilst half drunk and didnt get pinned. he just had no idea how to score points in greco. this was all in his book but ive heard frank back up the story elsewhere
rusty nails is offline  Top