Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: I a trainer revealed a secret dive before death

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhascup View Post
Many years after Benny Leonard was dead his trainer Manny Seamon said Leonards manager Billy Gibson had told him before the fight with Jack Britton that he was not to win.
Henry, if I have to lose I am happy it is to you. Yes Mannie Seamon ,a great trainer with impeccable credentials as an honorable boxing man revealed before his death that he saw Benny Leonard sobbing after his manager, the connected Billy Gibson told him "Benny you CAN'T win tonight",against the great veteran WW Jack Britton, moments before they left the dressing room,June 26,1922...Leonard had no other choice but to adhere to Gibson's orders and in the 13th round Leonard dropped Britton with a body shot and whie Britton was on the canvas walked around the referee and uncharacteristicaly walloped Britton on the side of his noggin
forcing the ref to disqualify Benny Leonard...Leonard avoided for the rest of his life the subject of that night...Seamon who briefly trained Joe Louis after Chappie Blackburn died revealed his secret just before he passed away about 30 years after Benny Leonard died...cheers..
burt bienstock is offline  Top