View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Was Leonards win over Tommy Hearns his greatest accomplishment.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
The Hearns fight was what made Leonard Leonard - a superstar that transcended the sport to take over the spot that Ali vacated, and what turned me and many others, into a fan (I'm not ashamed to admit it)

what made the win so impressive was how Sugar used his defense in the first third of the fight to stymie Tommy's offense, & take some of the steam out of him. Then later, pour it on to to tear apart the Hitman

Sugar's BIGGEST moment and IMO his most complete performance, came in the Hagler fight, a fight he put off for 5 yrs. Under the circumstances (5 yr layoff, no tuneup, no previous experience @ middleweight) his win seems that much more impressive

as for no one giving him a chance, that is strictly myth. I myself know of many giving Ray a realistic shot including Bob Arum who spoke of an upset just days prior to the fight
The Hearns fight he showed his superstar status was earned. Although to be honest, it was not his offense which broke Hearns apart, it was Hearns getting tired in round 13 and Ray taking advantage. Had Tommy not become tired, he would have outboxed Ray and won a decision. The "your blowing son your blowing it" was good timing, but not exactly the reason Ray won.

And the win against Hagler was the cherry on top. Ray was a calculating guys always, especially after he retired. No way was he the fighter of the decade like they said. That should have been reserved for someone who fought the whole decade. He was inactive for half the time.
MAG1965 is offline  Top