Old 12-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #11
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Recovering from big knockout defeats

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleChris View Post
Debate with a friend after Pacquiao defeat yesterday. He says he thinks Pacquiao will be able to recover and again be the kind of fighter who beat (I know, I know...) Bradley. I say recoveries from knockouts as heavy as that are extremely rare. So, examples of both would be good to hear. Guys who were at the top or at least on the up, then came to a grinding halt when victim to a big KO like last night's and just never looked the same again. Alternatively, those boxers who met with this adversity but recovered to become equally good, or even better, fighters than they were before.

What springs to mind, folks? Meldrick Taylor never recovered from Chavez...perhaps George Foreman recovered from Ali to beat Lyle and Frazier, albeit two years later?
the ones who recovered well had to compensate for the knockout by being a little more defensive. I thought Manny would find a jab against Marquez last night. I really did, and still think if he comes back he will have to use his jab more because from now on guys are going to wait and try and knock him out again. He has to change his style like Hearns or Foreman did. If he doesn't this will be a recurring event with him being stopped. Hearns never was as reckless after Barkley as he was before.
MAG1965 is offline  Top