View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773
Default Re: Ali vs Jim Brown at Hyde park - Any other good stories ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
Jack Dempsey was famous for not knowing the meaning of the word "Exhibition" he was horrible at stopping or pulling punches too. During a practice round that was supposed to be just for fun and publicity Dempsey landed a shot on Al Jolson's chin knocking him unconscious and with a permanent scar on the chin. I dont think Dempsey did it on purpose but none the less he connected and knocked Al Jolson out and after that Jolson showed off the scar to everyone he met and said "The great Jack Dempsey gave me this in a fight." so although it sounds brutal and cruel whether intentional or not Al Jolson took something away from the experience. Dempsey made really cheap movies like "Dare devil jack" or the prizefighter or something like that. When he was filming the fight scenes with the hollywood actors he had trouble stopping his punches and would knock them out cold. Ernest Hemingway insisted Jack go a practice round with him but Jack declined. Hemingway had actually done some boxing in his youth and was taking the exhibition very seriously and Jack said he didnt want to have to really hurt Hemingway so he quite wisely declined.
Oh i know what you mean this is what an old Dempsey did to cowboy Lutrell in an exhibition http://collections.atlantahistorycen...=600&width=600
Theron is offline  Top