View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #83
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barry McGuigan - I've had enough of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike View Post
You are totally misreading his posts. He is not saying McGuigan would have won, he is saying that AT THE TIME people did not know how good Nelson was and that McGuigan would have felt confident of winning and that many would have had him as favourite.

When Clay stepped in with Liston for the first time, Liston was the huge favourite and most people thought he would destroy Clay. It turned out to be wrong.

Hindsight is different to what people feel at a given moment. All he is saying is that McGuigan would have felt he would win and that at that time Nelson was not feared in the way that he would go on to be.
Of course Nelson was feared back then ever since his performance as a last mnute substitute against the great Sanchez (may his perfect soul rest in peace). Nelson has honoured Sanchez's career and legend by going on to have the career he did. McGuigan and his handlers were not confident at all. Micky Duff a great friend of McGuigan's manager Barney Eastwood was in Azumah Nelson's corner for the Sanchez fight and pretty sure he advised Barney that Barry be kept away from Nelson. Barney Eastwood was also ringside when Azumah defended his WBC title against that fine Irish boxer Pat Cowdell and what he saw made up his mind when Nelson knocked Pat Cowdell unconscious with a left uppercut I in the 1st round. Only those not in the know could conceive of McGuigan winning. A friend of mine having neve seen Nelson in 1985 though surely McGuigan would win until he saw a fight of Nelson and said that Barry's style was made to order for Nelson.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top