Old 12-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #38
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jeffries Admits Munroe Did Not Merit Title Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
So what? Jeffries was an active champion. Five of Jeffries title matches were vs. hall of fame fighters. And he gave re-matches. For the most part Jeffries fought the best as champion. Munroe got his title shot for him lasting 4 rounds in an exhibition match. Munroe was floored a few times , but his management lied to the press about scoring a knock down. That and beating a few past their prime names was good enough to get him a title match.

Outside of the people Jeffries had already beaten, few were better choices that Ruhlin in 1901. I am fine with this title match, because it avenged what some viewed as a questionable draw.

Just be honest Mcvey. Itís clear you have an ax to grind here. Pointing out that Munroe wasnít a world beater is not going to change the fact that Jack Johnson as champion fought a few soft marks, and as champion avoided the 4-5 best challengers out there in. Grind away if you must.
You would have made a case if Jeffries had defended against Joe Grimm.
I could produce accounts of the Jeffries Munroe exhibition that state Munroe DID drop Jeffries but I don't believe he did ,it doesnt matter, he had no business participating in a world's title fight, and Jeffries not only knew it, he later admitted it.
mcvey is offline  Top