View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #86
sikeside
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Burns seeks new opponent (again)

Fuk up craney.

This was on the sun site

RICKY BURNS’ world title plans were in chaos last night after challenger Jose Ocampo pulled out.

The Filipino’s sudden withdrawal came just five days before the Scot is due to defend his WBO lightweight crown in London.

No reason was given by promoter Frank ******’s office but SunSport understands that Ocampo’s trainer died suddenly last week, leaving the boxer in a state of shock.

****** is desperately trying to find a replacement for Ocampo, who was himself second choice after original challenger Liam Walsh was injured in a car smash.

But Burns is furious at the latest development and the fact that he and his manager Alex Morrison were apparently not the first to be told about Ocampo’s decision.

Burns, 29, said: “I’m scunnered by the whole situation, to be honest.

“It’s a joke and Alex and I don’t know at this precise moment what is happening. We’re sitting here waiting for a call to find out if I’ll still be defending my world title this weekend.

“If not, I’ve been asked to box a ten-round international contest but Alex and I have decided that the whole thing is a joke.

“It’s been one thing after another. I could understand Liam Walsh pulling out because that simply couldn’t be helped.

“But this has just left me sickened. Ocampo was announced as his replacement less than a fortnight ago and now we’ve found out this morning that he’s out.

“I think they left it a bit late to find a replacement, to be honest. But we don’t want all my preparations going to waste, so we’ll play it by ear until we find out exactly what’s happening.”

A spokesman for ****** insisted that the fight boss is pulling out all the stops to ensure Burns’ third title defence and eighth world title bout goes ahead on Saturday.

But if that proves impossible at such late notice, as was looking increasingly likely last night, Burns will be asked to undertake a non-title contest on the ExCel bill.

Morrison said: “Even if they come up with a replacement the situation will still be far from ideal from Ricky’s point of view.

“It hardly gives him any time to familiarise himself with another opponent with the fight only days away.

“I feel for Ricky after all the hard work he’s put in. It seems that nothing has gone right with regard to this fight.”
sikeside is offline  Top