View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #93
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

vCash: 1153
Default Re: Barry McGuigan - I've had enough of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olu G. Rotimi View Post
Yes we know what would have happened and frankly McGuigan's handlers the Eastwoods knew. Anyone who even thinks the outcome is debatable is deluded. Nelson destroyed much better than McGiggle. Nelson is q great and legendary your hero Barry is not.
Most boxing fans in Ireland and Britain back then must have been deluded it appears. Hero is a strong word, I'm not a ten year child so I tend not to have heros at this stage of my life, but I admire most if not all boxers, and McGuigan [ during his boxing days I hasten to add] more than most

Quote:
Of course Nelson was feared back then ever since his performance as a last mnute substitute against the great Sanchez (may his perfect soul rest in peace). Nelson has honoured Sanchez's career and legend by going on to have the career he did. McGuigan and his handlers were not confident at all. Micky Duff a great friend of McGuigan's manager Barney Eastwood was in Azumah Nelson's corner for the Sanchez fight and pretty sure he advised Barney that Barry be kept away from Nelson. Barney Eastwood was also ringside when Azumah defended his WBC title against that fine Irish boxer Pat Cowdell and what he saw made up his mind when Nelson knocked Pat Cowdell unconscious with a left uppercut I in the 1st round. Only those not in the know could conceive of McGuigan winning. A friend of mine having neve seen Nelson in 1985 though surely McGuigan would win until he saw a fight of Nelson and said that Barry's style was made to order for Nelson.
Your first assertion was that McGuigan feared Nelson therefore didn't want to box him. As I said earlier I can't agree with that, a world champion boxer on top of his game [having defeated Laporte, Pedroza and Taylor] wouldn't fear anyone, and whether or not his management thought otherwise the last person they are going to tell that to is their boxer.

Quote:
I am agreeing with your points actually apart from one which is I don't believe McGuigan and his handlers thought he cold win back then because though the general public may not have known how good Nelson was the McGuigan certainly did. It gets on my tits when Barry says things like a particular fighter lacks intestinal fortitude etc when he sidestepped his career defining challenge. By contrast Marquez and Pacman fought each other four times to get a definite winner. Ricky Hatton is appreciated for not ducking Mayweather and Pacman. He may have lost but gained eternal respect.
As I said earlier the Cruz defeat was the chief reason for the fight not happening. Also many considered Cowdell to be weight weakened when he fought Nelson, given that he had been boxing at super-feather and also a lot of the newspapers thought Cowdell was going to defeat Nelson that night, so that 1rd blast out was a massive surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
Barney Eastwood said he kept McGuigan away because Nelson would have killed him, I don't know many people around here who gave McGuigan much if any kind of a shot.

Michael, I suggest you read Eastwoods book, THAT is an eye opener

as for this "bringing people together" stuff...well i've said my piece on that myth more times than enough
I've read the book, and considering the bad blood between the two now, I expected Eastwood to say worse [ but I suppose he didn't want to face another day in court with McGuigan].
What is this myth that you refer to about McGuigan? what do you mean by people around here[the Brit forum, Belfast/Ireland ]? tell me more as you seem to have all the answers? And another question, who is Michael?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongback View Post
I'd take everything Barney Eastwood says with a pinch of salt.
Exaclty
ardy is offline  Top