View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #94
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Barry McGuigan - I've had enough of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardy View Post
Most boxing fans in Ireland and Britain back then must have been deluded it appears. Hero is a strong word, I'm not a ten year child so I tend not to have heros at this stage of my life, but I admire most if not all boxers, and McGuigan [ during his boxing days I hasten to add] more than most

Your first assertion was that McGuigan feared Nelson therefore didn't want to box him. As I said earlier I can't agree with that, a world champion boxer on top of his game [having defeated Laporte, Pedroza and Taylor] wouldn't fear anyone, and whether or not his management thought otherwise the last person they are going to tell that to is their boxer.

As I said earlier the Cruz defeat was the chief reason for the fight not happening. Also many considered Cowdell to be weight weakened when he fought Nelson, given that he had been boxing at super-feather and also a lot of the newspapers thought Cowdell was going to defeat Nelson that night, so that 1rd blast out was a massive surprise.

I've read the book, and considering the bad blood between the two now, I expected Eastwood to say worse [ but I suppose he didn't want to face another day in court with McGuigan].
What is this myth that you refer to about McGuigan? what do you mean by people around here[the Brit forum, Belfast/Ireland ]? tell me more as you seem to have all the answers? And another question, who is Michael?

Exaclty
Ardy there a lot of issues I can take with your latest comments however lets be clear Azumah Nelson knocking out Pat Cowdell in 1 round was no surprise. Nelson was prepared to give Cowdell about 5 rounds before putting his lights however it was when Cowdell had the audacity to go toe to toe and stay in danger zone Azumah puts his lights out and that was all she wrote. As for Cowdell been weight weakened etc my view is that after every defeat there is an injury. Nelson would beat Cowdell evert day of the week that is not to say Cowdell is not a fine fighter he clearly was and one of the better ones not to win a world title.

McGuigan losing to Cruz was no fluke he got his arse canned period. Cruz was part of Dave Gorman's stable in Texas with Don Curry and was no mug. Please don't make excuses about the heat etc as great fighters overcome adversity.

You might admire Barry McGuigan which is good for you and him I just don't share these sentiments about his career. I think he is way overrated. I get sick of people who say it is shame he and Nelson never fought when the reality is McGuigan ducked Nelson period. I remember Nelson say that they could fight in McGuigan's bedroom and his wife could be the referee and judge but Barry would still get knocked out.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top