View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #1304
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
The thing is though. For the most part. i think he knows what he's doing. IMHO he's conciously being dirty when he's going low. It happens too many times for it to be a coincidence. I think Mares knows how bad a low blow can affect an opponent. That video of him on that programme when he was younger is very telling. They explained to him how and why low blows are so debilitating and i can assume from that he knows what he's doing. As SPB says, it's not like he tries to disguise it either. At least Barrera and Pedroza were sly and cunning with it.
I haven't seen that video so can't really comment on that. I'm not saying that he has never gone out with the intention of making it rough to unsettle his opponent- in fact quite the opposite, I'm sure it's been part of his tactics against guys like Moreno. But I have to take issue with the fact that he is a dirty fighter full stop. Low blows were not an issue in either Agbeko II or Morel and I think the worse cases of him fouling by going low have been at least in part due to his head being pulled down by the likes of Vic or Moreno when getting inside. It does make me laugh at times the hypocrisy of a young fighter like Mares being labelled a scumbag by some who then in turn praise veteran fighters for "old manning" an opponent with a few rough tricks here in there.

I strongly disagree with SPB that Mares is a horrible fighter too, he's anything but.
JFT96 is offline  Top