PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

Toney, a better technician making far fewer mistakes and much more fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
First I believe Toney is way over rated....I think he was very good/ border line great (similar to how I feel about Eubank, as well), but not nearly as unbeatable (well, many think he would simply beat any one not named RJJ) as some make him out to be.

Both are brilliant (IMHO) counter punchers, and I don't think this would be an exciting fight in any way....perhaps in the mold of RJJ/Hop's in that I don't believe either will risk a whole lot...Due to that I think Chris would be the busier fighter...I always felt Toney did himself a diservice by taking off far to many rounds and minutes at times inside of rounds, going back to McCallum and beyond. I think Chris's reflexes would frustrate Toney to a similar degree that RJJ did....I am not sure I would say Chris is more powerful, but in this fight the power of both would be negated by both chins and likely won't be a major factor....I like Chris's timing, speed, reflexes and athleticism to trump Toney's better fundementals, and defensive skills.
Eubank hardly worked at a high pace himself. Eubanks reflexs are also not worthy of comparisons to RJJ neither is his speed and boxing generally. Actually I'm not his speed

It should also be noted Eubank was operating at a much lower level than Toney. His biggest career test was probably Watson, who he got gift decision in the first fight and come from behind KO in the rematch. The same Watson who was completely dominated by McCallum.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top