general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Discuss fighters Jones Jr ducked in his prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
This is just an opinion.
It was the same condition that Evander was offered if he wanted to fight Jones.
Hence:
Quote:
Then negotiations for Jones Holyfield went down the drain because King demanded options on all of Holyfield's championship fights should he beat Jones and presented Evander with a dollar amount that the Holyfield camp considered insulting.

More specifically, Jim Thomas (Holyfield's attorney), says, "Under the final offer that Don gave us, Evander would have made $8,000,000, and $36,000,000 would have been divided between Roy Jones and Don King."

Holyfield elaborates, saying, "I want to fight for the title, but I don't want anyone abuse to me. I shouldn't have to sign a longterm contract with Don King just to fight for the title. I went through that one time, and I don't want to put myself in that situation again. I don't want to deal with Don King anymore. I don't want anything to do with him. I won't give options to Don King."
http://www.secondsout.com/columns/th...hes-for-glory1
Quote:
Roy hoped to stay at heavy. Murad tried to get him other fights, while Tarver was baiting him at every opportunity. We know Murad tried to get him fights with Holy, Tyson and Lewis.
You should take what Murad says with a pinch of salt

Holyfield was not going to accept those terms
Lewis had his own problems with Vitali and the WBC
Tyson refused to work with King in any shape or form

Quote:
I don't know if Roy could have defended his belt against those challengers, because I don't know what the WBA rankings were. What were the details of the King contract?
As it stated Jones had to keep King as a promoter as long as he defended the wba hw belt

The WBA wanted Jones to defend against his mandatory challenger which at the time was Vitali. K
Quote:
Was it for a WBA defence, or was it if he fought anyone at all at heavy? I'm sure Roy would have been happy to use Don again, as long as it was in his own best interests. Murad says he made Roy $17M for Ruiz in total.
Why did King end of promoting Tarver-Jones II?
general zod is offline  Top