View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 02:51 AM   #77
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885
Default Re: My mate making Tyson Fury smash his caravan up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Yep i'm Romani, The word is a slur on our ethinic group so totally disagree with your point tbh. It's not about comparing how bad words are to other words, The fact the word is used as a slur on our people and it shouldn't be happily flung out there as a cuss when you can't do same to other races/ethnicity. We ain't all white either which i'm not sure if that's what you meant in this post and even so no racial slur should be accepted whether it be from a black man to a white man.

For the record hundreds of thousands of our people were killed in the holocaust. Were entitled to be proud of our people and not be willing to accept being called names which are used to undermine our people.
I think the initial point I was trying to make has been lost a bit in my rambling. Basically I was just saying that the word has less weight than other racial slurs in the UK. In the same way calling a white person a ******* is simply not as offensive as calling a black person a ******, obviously any racial slur is reprehensible. Like I said a small, insignificant point which belonged in a lounge chat that I explained poorly. That point wasn't about a black man saying something to a white man is fine or vice versa but more what is socially acceptable. The word "gyppo" is much more acceptable than similar insults to other races, which is of course unfair.

I agree with the rest of your post completely. The way the media treat gypsies has scary parallels with the portrayal of Jews in Germany in the 1930s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDUUDDDEE View Post
Only on the internet can a discussion about Tyson Fury devolve into an argument over who started the slave trade.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top