View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #63
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jeffries Admits Munroe Did Not Merit Title Chance

My book, In the Ring With James J. Jeffries, devotes a chapter to the Corbett-McCoy fight. The Horton law was not repealed as a result of this fight. It was already repealed, with such law set to go into effect Sept. 1. Hence lots of fights were happening before the repeal went into effect, because they knew that New York money was about to be gone. Corbett and McCoy had been previously scheduled to fight before Jim's father went insane and killed his wife and himself. Whether the fight was fixed or not remains unclear. I do not think there is any definitive evidence. Corbett denied it in his autobiography. The sportswriters who saw the fight believed it was legitimate. One said if it was fixed then it was the acme of acting. Keep in mind also that Corbett was bigger than McCoy, and was very sharp at that time - only some months after he gave Jeffries hell. Their wives accused them of fixing it, but they were estranged at the time. Plus, there were aspects to the wives' stories that didn't make sense or were contradictory. Still, many back then, including today, want to believe the worst. Many prefer the sensational. Sells more newspapers. Sometimes it is true, though. I lean towards thinking it was on the up and up, but maybe I'm naive.
apollack is offline  Top