View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #1341
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: The all things technical thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
Agreed.

There was no way Haye could 'out jab' Wlad. He could counter his jab, he could try and take away his jab, but not in a million years could he out jab him from distance. Height and reach is what has made Wlad so dominant. It matters! especially when you mix it with good boxing acumen.

I donít mean to be a killjoy, PK. but we need to be realistic about David Haye's abilities against someone like Wlad. Sorry to say it, but Haye canít beat Tim Witherspoon or Pinklon Thomas. The guy did the best he could with what he had. He canít subtly shift inside like Joe Louis or James Toney and take advantage of Wladís non infighting ability. He does not have that Holyfield, Marciano, Frazier type of toughness where he walk through hell to get to his man. He's also not a super skilled, slick fighter.

Haye is not Tyson. Completely different styles and levels.

Haye could do whatever he wanted against Harrison. Not the case with Wlad.

That's just who Haye is, PK. That's the way he's fought most of his career at this level. I canít understand why people are so shocked at how Haye fought. That fight was never ganna be an action-packed fight. Haye would have been killed had he fought a pressing fight and people would call him dumb. Haye does not have the skillset or physical toughness to fight that kind of fight. That's just the way it is. You can't expect him to morph into different fighter overnight.

Haye was knocked down 4 times as a pro and knocked OUT 3 times as an amateur. He's a ballsy guy, with good power, but not a relaxed guy, who can shift in the pocket and give a systematic beat down. There was NO other fight he could have fought.

He needed a Evander Holyfield type of toughness to win that fight. Some talk about Wladís lack of toughness. Well Wlad does lack toughness but he doesnít have to take as much because of his huge stature. Itís a tough feeling when punches are bothering you more than the eye can see. Fighters fight the style that is most comfortable to them most of the times. Haye fights that darty, frenetic style because punishment bothers him. Itís nothing wrong with that, itís just what it is.

In the last 30 years tell me how many guys, who are not THAT durable but can go balls to walls and engage in high contact fights at the elite level. I can only think of 2, Tommy Hearns and Terry Norris. Haye is nowhere near those guys.
Slip, I just want to say that this is possibly the best post I've ever read about Haye. It's exactly why he fights that way and why he couldn't beat Wlad.

Brilliant stuff.
dftaylor is offline  Top