Old 12-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #52
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
The fact that The Ring's rankings have been utterly compromised presents problems for any researcher and fan with an eye on history. Boxing needs an objective, authoritative rankings body that can be trusted. That was a major motivation behind the Trans Rankings.

The Ring's monthly ratings are good (for me, et al.) from May 1928 until May 2012 (though the problems began before then, and after Nigel Collins and his editors were dismissed). Between May and September 2012, The Ring may have to be the default ratings used. In a perfect world, the Trans Rankings would have begun in June, but this stuff takes time to design, debate, organize, recruit, adapt to changing conditions, etc.

So, yes, I think it crazy that the Trans Rankings would not be the go-to rankings for purists and eventually everyone -from October 2012 on.
for what it's worth I agree with every word.

the ring is declining in worth and prestige and now I can honestly say there's no reason to rank it significantly above the alpha belts.

All boxing needs is an honest ranking system that has the prestige such that one isn't considered a champion unless they sit atop those rankings. Until that day there will be no clarity.
lufcrazy is online now  Top