Old 12-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #416
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
i haven't read the whole thread. how do you imagine rock winning? battle plan, etc. this is genuine curiousity
If you watch the rock, his battle plan doesnt change, so this is an easy question.

He will crouch in a proper stance. He will look to slip and duck Wlads Jab so that he can land a hook and uppercut. When Wlad Clinches when the fighters are in close, (as he always does), instead of trying to outmuscle and wrestle him (as most recent fighters have done), he will break immediately, set himself in the same position and fire off exactly the same jabs, straight rights, hooks, uppecuts etc. this is going to do a few things, but most importantly, it is going to make Wlad lift his workrate to much, much higher than he is used to. Something which his recent style has been designed to prevent. This will mean that Wlad becomes very tired and prone to the KO which is one of his biggest weaknesses he has. As seen by the Purity and Brewster fights among others. I know he has managed to hide this with his Style, but Rocky is a different ball game.

The biggest concern in this fight for rocky is obviously the reach disadvantage. No doubt it is massive. But what difference does it really make. rocky had a massive reach disadvantage in every single fighter he fought. And this is made all the more obvious by his inside style which doesnt really require reach anyway. Wlad has not ever fought an inside fighter that i can think of, with the possible exception of Sanders or possibly Haye. And neither of those really had a high workrate like Marciano.

It is unlikely, though possible (based on Sanders and even Brewster and other fights) that Wlad will fold on the first punch rocky lands. It is also unlikely (based on Purity, Brewster, and other fights) that Wlad can maintain the workrate needed to beat Rocky. It is possible i guess, but i just cant see it. When i think about this fight, I really think that Wlad's best chance is to come out swinging hard, much like the younger but less successful version of himself. If he catches Rocky earlier, it is definitely possible that he KOs him, or dazes him enough to stop his work rate and dominate the fight with his jab, as he has others before him. Unlikely but definitely possible, and i think this might give him a better chance than Jabbing and Grabbing and hoping he has the stamina to stay.
Boilermaker is offline  Top