View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #473
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bodybuilder/model picks on twerps plus nutrition,experience, fitness advice share

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
How do you figure that? If you want to improve your deadlifts then the best thing to do is deadlift. You're not going to dramatically increase anything doing supplementary lifts, you'll increase your deadlift numbers more by lifting light than by doing good mornings. I'd like to hear your rationale.
Really? Tell that to Louise Simmons. His power lifters very rarely do conventional squats and deads yet they always set PRs at their meets.

I used to think the same as you up until a few months ago, doing the lift will improve the lift which is true to an extent, but eventually you'll hit a plateau that will feel impossible to get over.

Louie has a good analogy for this. "If I get into a fight with you and get KO'd I'm not going to keep coming back to get KO'd. I'm going to go to different people and learn different things, become stronger in my weaknesses, then I'm gonna come back and kick your ass". Same kind of idea.

It's about working your weaknesses. If you start failing at bench press, say at the lockout, a possible weakness is your triceps. You can do pin press from the point you fail at, also board press. Both allow you to overload the muscles from the point you fail to full lockout as you're not going through the full ROM. You'd also do extra triceps work after the main lift to increase strength and maybe some size. Vary the main lift with different grips, bars, chains, bands etc and when you try that lift again you'll get a new PR. It's a power lifting example, but it's just to give you the idea. Cut has a weak lower back and he knows it. I listed some lifts that will target his lower back to varying degrees.

Do some research into Westside Barbell and the conjugate system. Professional power lifters stall at say 500lbs deadlift for a year or two. They go to WB and within a few months they always add weight, some up to 100lbs or more. If you stall on a lift it's because you have a weakness in that lift. At WB they work out your weakness and that's what you train not that lift you're failing at.

Last edited by viru§™; 12-22-2012 at 11:52 AM.
viru§™ is offline  Top