Old 12-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #73
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: The Official Bangkok Fight Card Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchburg View Post
Would you say then that Dutch style Thai Boxing and K1 are more suited to guys over 70kg then?

I've always enjoyed the clinch aspect of Thai Boxing and I have found that when it comes to K1 there isn't enough time to use leg kicks and get into a good groove. It always feels forced and more like Prizefighting and "KO fishing"

Do you practice Muay Kaad Chuek or Krabi Krabong yourself?

Lynchburg
Sorry Lynch didn’t see your post.

No, I've never been drawn to weapons and I value my facial features enough never to wrap on the hemp!

Muay Kaad Chuek is basically just “normal” MT with the long hemp wraps and no gloves and Krabi Krabong is just an extension of ring MT with a Krabi in each fist. I’m old skool Lynchy, I don’t see any difference between Muay Boran, Muay Thai, Muay Kaad Chuek, Krabi Krabong etc etc. to me they are all MT with the same fundamental mechanics and an overwhelming amount of shared techniques. It’s only really over the last 10 years post Jah Pannom’s Ong Bak movie combined with the rise of MMA that these variants have even become marketable. No one used to talk about Muay Boran or any of its current variants; it’s really just a “money thing” in the west pushed by commercial clubs, organisations and magazines to promote something new, authentic and esoteric, to people hungry and willing to pay for something apparently different. It’s not really an issue in Thailand were they are basically all seen as the same thing with possibly Krabi Krabong given a certain cultural elevation over the others. That being said I recently missed a seminar given by Tony Moore in London that would’ve been really interesting, I couldn’t make it, a shame.

Your right about K-1, it is a form of forced KO hunting, but that’s the way Mr Ishsi designed K-1 to be. He wanted to design a super exciting style of striking MMA at the time, which gave no apparent advantage to any of the different striking martial arts that would also be explosive enough to attract more casual fans not clued up on the subtle nuances of each system. Ground breaking stuff at the time, but ultimately insufficient for diehard fans.

Yep, I’d say what people call “Dutch MT” is definitely more suited to the big boyz and even more suited to K1. You have to remember no Thais above 70kgs, hence a lack of depth and serious competition, so more chance of success without the knowledge of how to clinch and knee effectively. That’s why the Dutch boys do so well these days in Glory and K1 but not so well on the actual MT circuit in Thailand. But going back to me being old skool again I can remember how “Dutch MT” came about. In the 80s and 90s when the pioneering Dutch boys were going over to Thailand and taking on the Thais they were doing well but their clinch work was shite as it was for every foreigner at the time, just watch an old Dekkers or Ronnie Green fight, legends they both were but when it came to the clinch they were lost. In the late 90s many foreigners realised that we could match the Thais with their feet and fists, but to really have a chance of beating them we had to learn how to control and be strong in the clinch to knee effectively and score highly. The French were really the first to adapt and reaped the rewards for a time but then everyone caught up, the Dutch however never really took to clinching and hence the term “Dutch MT” was born. So it was born out of a lack of evolution thanks in part to the huge national icon status given to the mighty Diamond Dekkers.
boranbkk is offline  Top