Old 12-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #38
Manila
Temporarily Unbanned
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: How does your current P4P top 10 look

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Machida has done what any top fighter does, he's finished what has been put in front of him, he will absolutely annihilate Gustaffson, without a shadow of a doubt, having long lims and a good reach may be enough to keep other strikers off, but not pure strikers like Machida, Machida will find the hole, and he will hurt him!
You won't find me arguing about Machida-Gustafsson, Lyoto is a level or two above that guy and would simply pick his moments and lash him to defeat, no sweat.

But that's not really the issue here, the issue is that even though I am a massive Machida fan, he is one of my top 5 active fighters, possibly top two, the fact is that objectively he doesn't merit a p4p placing right at this moment in time, despite (in my opinion) being one of the top 10 fighters in the world on ability.

Objectively, Lyoto's last 5 fights are:

- Bader (win over a guy who is not top 10, a C-class guy talent-wise)
- Jones (OK Lyoto won the 1st round but he was finished in the 2nd)
- Couture (win over a pretty much shot fighter who got a gift against Vera the last time he fought a top 20 lhw, which was a long time earlier anyway)
- Rampage (I believe Lyoto won the fight, but regardless, he was unconvincing and largely unimpressive against a well, well past-prime version of Quinton)
- Shogun (brutally TKO'd)

Two fairly decent wins, two pretty brutal losses, and a thoroughly 'meh' performance against an old worn 'Page.

This simply is not p4p form at all, if indeed you value objectivity and form when it comes to p4p rankings.

The last time Lyoto turned in a convincing winning performance against a genuinely top fighter in his division was May 2009 against Rashad.

That's just too long ago to maintain his position. Too many other guys (like Johny Hendricks, like Renan Barao, like Carlos Condit) have been taking clear wins over bona fide top guys in their divisions recently for Lyoto to have any possible claim of parity with them.
Manila is offline  Top