View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Greatest Middleweight once and for all- Greb? Monzon? Hagler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
I agree that Greb did his best work at light heavyweight, but I am not going to rank Monzon or Hagler above him just for hiding behind the 160lb limit.

I think that you have to make some allowance for accomplishments above 160lbs, while a fighter is still able to make the middleweight limit, otherwise you are producing a very warped view of greatness.
If a MW like Greb could at 160 pounds beat LHs as no other MW could do,y
it is a safe bet that he could when REQUIRED to make 160 pounds whip
other top middleweights also...Even when old and past his peak beat Tiger Flowers, Mickey Walker,Johnny Wilson, Ted Moore etc all at MW 160 pounds. When the dynamo that was Greb fought LHs it stands to reason that he would not train down to 160 pounds depriving himself when he did not have to. If a Marvin Hagler, a Carlos Monzon, tackled the best lightheavyweights of their time they too would fight at closer to their walk around weights...Greb at about 5ft8" when trained properly, was a natural 160 pounder when required...He had what no OTHER MW had including
Monzon and Hagler, one requisite that they did not have to beat the big boys, namely blazing hand and foot speed and phenominal stamina that
put him on offense and his opponents on defense...Along with a cast iron chin that took occasional shots on the whiskers from bigger boys,and shake it off. At his best you couldn't outhustle him and you couldn't kayo him...
When in his prime he fought one year 45 bouts and won them ALL...
What MW in history could fight every one of Greb's 300 fight career and
be as successful as him.? No one. Give the man his due. He earned it...
burt bienstock is offline  Top