Old 12-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #57
Manila
Temporarily Unbanned
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: How does your current P4P top 10 look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Time has passed. GSP walked into one huge punch years ago, and was quickly KOed because of it. It was so long ago that GSP won the rematch (by dominant stoppage) the same week that current top-3 p4per Jon Jones made his pro debut.
All true, but it remains a difference between the reign of Anderson and the reign of GSP. As things stand, Anderson is peerless in UFC terms.

In boxing, the only thing keeping Mayweather on top is his long unbeaten run, because Andre Ward is looking fresher and better now, and is dominating the shit out of his top contenders in a way Floyd couldn't do vs Cotto. You have to respect longevity/consistency/dominance.

Quote:
Sonnen dropped him with strikes at least once in the first match. He didn't badly hurt him, but he floored him.
If you consider that the same thing as GSP getting dropped by a headkick and then swarmed with GnP and almost being finishes, then we have radically different impressions of those two incidents. Anderson got briefly staggered by a punch, was not remotely hurt, was nowhere near to getting finished, whereas GSP was properly knocked flat, was badly hurt, and ate clean shots as Condit hunted a finish. Totally totally different situations.

Quote:
Anderson won both fights against Chael, but he lost 5 rounds out of 7 during them. Has GSP lost 5 completed rounds in his UFC career, let alone lost them in such one-sided fashion as Anderson did against Chael?
Anderson finished Chael twice - and please stop overlooking the illegitimacy of that first fight when Chael carried the monster advantage of being juiced to oblivion. I value conclusive finishing of fights higher than grinding out every round. You consider GSP's soporific one-sided jabfest against Shields more impressive than Anderson subbing a world-class wrestler with a 16.9/1 testosterone level? I know I don't.

Quote:
First, I agree that Diaz is not the #1 contender. But he is a longtime top-level guy.

Second, wins over Condit and Diaz are better than no fights against MW contenders in the same time period. Anderson last defended his belt in July, and he has no title defence signed yet and no indication that one is coming any time soon.
A win over Condit was great, same as a rematch finishing of Sonnen was. No advantage there. A win over Nick Diaz is a thoroughly expected win over a good but not great challenger, where GSP will again be an overwhelming, white-hot favourite to win. No, not enough to supercede the reigning #1, not at all.

Quote:
All that said, I have Anderson #1 p4p as well. But p4p is current - overall career legacy is only part of it. That's why Hendo isn't a current top-5 p4per. And as of December 2012, GSP is defending his belt more often in a deeper division. There's a good argument to be made that GSP is #1 anyway, but if he beats Diaz while Anderson celebrates a year without defending his belt, his case only gets stronger.

I am aware that legacy is only part of it, I clearly stated this when I first mentioned GSP's KO loss as a factor, albeit not a major one.

You can't change the p4p#1 every time a guy has six months off, it's too important a position for that. The guy needs to definitively lose the top spot, and Silva saving a card for the UFC by taking a late-notice 205lbs fight and having no fight scheduled right now is of course not sufficient reason to move him out of a position he has earned decisively over the years. Come on man.
Manila is offline  Top