View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Sandman_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Keeping the the faith

I think we've been pretty lucky with the quality of fighters we've had to support in this country over many years.

We've had two international boxing hall of famers and another one who will likely go in when the time comes. Their careers have all followed on from one another spanning a period of more than 25 years.

I think it's pretty easy being a fan when you get to follow guys who operate at the pointy end of the sport. That they've managed to achieve what they have fighting out of a country that is half a world away from the two major boxing markets in the world (the USA & Europe) is a pretty special achievement for this country, imo.

We've also had plenty of top class second tier guys (and I don't mean that in a negative sense at all) to follow as well and that continues to this day with Daniel Geale having already achieved more than many of his predecessors ever did and with the potential to achieve more. Even if he's not up to beating the likes of Golovkin or Martinez (which remains to be seen), you know that if he keeps winning he's going to have a crack at it - another quality that I like about our fighters.

I can't see any reason why we won't continue to produce some high quality second tier guys in the years to come although I think our 25 consecutive years of having a genuine A-level guy to follow might be coming to end.
Sandman_ is offline  Top