Old 12-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #63
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: How does your current P4P top 10 look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manila View Post
You have different criteria to me, and to the vast majority of the MMA world I think.

I agree that Machida is an elite talent, for sure. But that isn't a reason to keep him in the p4p top 10 when his last convincing victory over a top 10 opponent was May 2009, and it's December 2012. I think Sergei Kharitonov would knock out Frank Mir annd Big Nog, but it doesn't mean he takes their place in the top 10, he hasn't beaten a top guy in years either (Overeem in '07).

Form is a critical factor in MMA, you have to give guys the recognition they deserve for going into tough fights and beating the best opponents. While Lyoto has beaten two non top 10 guys, Hendricks has beaten Fitch, Koscheck and Kampmann, Condit has beaten Diaz, Kim and MacDonald, Barao has beaten Faber, Jorgensen and Pickett.

Using my criteria (and I would say, the majority criteria), there is no argument for having Machida above these guys. The difference in quality of opponent and result is too great. And I believe Lyoto is a better fighter than Hendricks or Condit, probably better than Barao too.
To step over the line and become a world champion in MMA is different to that of Pro Boxing, it announces that fighter for that one night and maybe many down the line as "elite" Machida can claim to have done that, Hendricks cannot!

Machida has been at the top of the sport for what is considered in MMA terms as a "long time" Hendricks has not. Just because the current run of form suggests Hendricks may edge towards MMA gold, doesnt mean he's been there already!

In the tiering system of ranking the top end guys Machida currently sits in a different league to Hendricks, until Machida begins to lose, this will be the case until Hendricks gets his shot, or picks up a few more solid wins
thewinfella is offline  Top