Old 12-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #25
dempsey1234
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Canelo Alvarez Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Dempsey Im curious, Probably working with Mexican Fighters you might be able to Help. Ive often wondered if most of the great Fighters from there, and Punchers, live at an altitude of over 10,000 ft.
They don't, the one's that can afford it do. Chavez is from Culiacan, Like Chavez sr & Jr, JMM, train @altitude in Toluca. Erick Morales is from Tijuana, and many other name Mexican fighter train @the Otomi, which is a bit lower. I am not sure how high it is. Have you ever trained @high altitude? The Mexico City promoters used to bring in guys to fight a week before the fight, on purpose. The rule of thumb was 72hrs or 2wks before the fight was safe for a low altitude fighter, to have a chance of winning. a week before gave a big edge to the local high altitude fighters. Trainer Ronnie Shields, found that out for himself, when as a young up and comer, he fought in Mexico City, fighting a 10-6, guy and wound up getting stopped in the 6th from exhaustion.
Now they have mask which can replicate high altitude training. But I donít believe most Mexicans would replace going to train @ altitude with wearing a mask. Most Mexicans that I know would rather go to Toluca or the Otomi, to them thatís the natural way to do things I guess it's psychological.
There are mixed reviews on whether training in high altitude is good or bad. Training @altitude is either good or bad depends who you talk to, I guess it is a case of "to each his own".

dempsey1234 is offline  Top