Old 12-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #137
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553
Default Re: JDS v Velasquez II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Well, I don't know that it had anything to do with doomsday. Nobody in their right mind was paying any genuine attention to that.

Christmas and New Years, well, time for celebration and whatnot. You should be hyping up your HW title fight. Get together with family and friends, and watch a night of fights. I feel they have done this in the past.

I feel, the last card of the year should be a real blockbuster, and they just didn't do that this year. Big fans of the sport are looking forward to it, but really, it is void of marquee names, and any real promotion that I am aware of. Then again, I do try to separate myself from the business, promotion, and marketing side of the sport, because I feel it's really not worth focusing on. My job as a fight fan is to be excited to watch and talk about the actual fights, not the numbers and financial well being, or whatever, of the company. It actually annoys the shit out of me when numbers/organizations are discussed more than the actual fights.

Sorry for rambling.
Good points, can't really disagree with what has been said, but I don't see any other promotion doing shows at the end of the year. These cards sell themselves, and I believe these end of the year events will get bigger and bigger. This time last year it was Lesnar v Overeem, which delivered.

Do you have a final prediction, Rob?? I searched, but couldn't find one.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top