Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #55
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Canelo Alvarez Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
Ok, amateur - pro, two different mindsets and training. Pro's use smaller gloves, wrap hands differently, no headgear, they can pick and choose their oppts, in the amateurs you are fighting the toughest guys, guys you wouldn't even consider fighting as a pro, the training for pro's is different, more emphasis is put on body punches, or on being more agressive or whatever. It's basically the same guy but in a different package. Do you as a boxer honestly believe that all of a sudden these guys woke up one day and said, damn I am punching like superman, please.
This won't convince you in fact nothing I can say will convince you. From what I saw on your posted vid's sure you could sit down on your punches a bit more or do this or that, but would that change be that significant? I think not. Go to the gym and work solely on developing power 100% as someone suggested, study body mechanics, and the oral cavity, and see if you can increase your power to any great extent. I gave you an example of a guy, Juan Diaz, but there many many more that you yourself know. There are guys that do all the right things, putting their body behind their punches, punching in combination, doing everything correctly and still they have no pop, tell me why that is?
Very rarely are guys doing all the right things correctly, even p4p guys like Andre Ward have deficiencies in their technique. You need to know what you're looking at and you need a high speed camera plus EMG's attached to see if somebody is punching optimally. There are many places in the chain that muscular activation and coordination can break down. You can get top guys like McClellan who use their bodies to punch very well and you get guys like Bradley who turn their shoulders at the same time as their hips, you don't even need anything other than your naked eye to see the qualitative mistakes they make. Any guy who can't punch has problems with their technique and/or posture. I can guarantee that and no strength program will turn somebody like that into a power puncher. It's obviously very hard to retrain somebody who has done well with poor technique but it can be done. If you don't have idiots claiming 'oh you're born with it or not'. That's like claiming that people are born good dancers. It is a matter of coordination and efficient movement.
dealt_with is offline  Top