View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #24
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Henry Armstrong at 130lbs

I think Armstrong was a more unstoppable force than Saddler in any shape. There would be absolutely no compromise and he would march forward and I just think Saddler would be lost in all that. Zivic was bigger than them both and caught Armstrong at the end of a very hectic schedule where he was fighting nearly once a month and well above his best division (his opponents in '39 and '40 were averaging, let's say, 144lbs - in '36 and '37 they were about 130lbs). That first Zivic fight was close, and in the second he was blinded - I'm not making excuses, I just don't believe those fights were the best representation of Armstrong at 130lbs and under.

Sometimes I think Armstrong is much appreciated for his record but undermined as a head-to-head beast - which he clearly was. Saddler was a terror in his own right, but to my knowledge, he struggled much more than Armstrong did when the opposition got heavier. He enjoyed a healthy physical advantage at featherweight that didn't carry through as many weight classes.
Manassa is offline  Top