View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Sol v fujimoto on new years eve

KYOTARO FUJIMOTO vs SOLOMON HAUMONO

Graham’s odds: Fujimoto -195; Haumono +145 Over 8.5 rounds -150; Under 8.5 rounds +120

Kyotaro Fujimoto is a rarity — a Japanese heavyweight who just might have international-class potential. We will find out a lot more about Fujimoto on Monday’s Osaka show when he meets Solomon Haumono, a heavy hitting Australian fighter of Tongan ancestry, in a 12-rounder for the vacant OPBF heavyweight title.

Haumono, son of a former Aussie heavyweight champ, was a top rugby league player in Australia before taking up boxing seriously, and he’s knocked out 17 opponents in 21 fights. Haumono belaboured the Australian-based Nigerian Franklin Egobi into defeat in the 10th round in his last fight. However, while Haumono hurt Egobi with right hands throughout the fight and dug in some good body blows he seemed to be the sort of boxer who fights in spurts. Egobi was doing well with the jab in several rounds, only to get caught and rocked when Haumono opened up. Haumono has an impressively muscled physique, but he’s 37 and I think it’s fair to say that he’s reached his level — dangerous but perhaps a bit limited technically.

Fujimoto, 26, has had only five bouts — all wins — but he’s a former K1 kickboxing star. Fujimoto comfortably outpointed the southpaw Chauncy Welliver in his last fight and while Welliver is a mauling type of fighter, he’s a big man and durable, and I thought that Fujimoto showed some ability in the way he landed punches and moved around his much more experienced opponent. Fujimoto seems to have good hand speed, and despite his limited boxing experience he seems to have good instincts, and it seems to me that Fujimoto has the well-balanced look of someone who knows how to fight.

I think that Fujimoto might be a bit too quick and too busy for Haumono. Haumono’s big right hand will be a threat, and if he can hit Fujimoto squarely on the chin he can hurt him and perhaps stop him, but I do believe that Fujimoto is ready for this, on paper at least, somewhat hazardous test. I do realise that one punch can wreck Fujimoto’s dreams of boxing glory but I will go with this flamboyant and confident Japanese prospect to win, possibly on points.
Crusher is offline  Top