Old 01-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #19
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Damien Hooper turns pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxon123 View Post
I could only find him training Amateurs! I thought someone might have been able to enlighten me but I guess it was too hard. In case you have not notices they are two different sports.
He's training Cam Hammond and Paddy Murphy at the minute. He worked with Brit Don Broadhurst for a while too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_ View Post
They need to get him good sparring. That's why the training environment he's in is so important.

The real hard work early in his career should be done behind closed doors in the gym so they can accurately gauge where he's at & who he should be matched with.

And I hope they don't take him over to the UK to fight against local favourites in the opponent's backyard as happened with Jarrod Fletcher. Fletcher should have been tested in sparring against higher calibre opponents before being matched with a talented pom in the other guy's backyard. Finding out you're out of your depth when the bell rings is all too late.

My concern with Hooper being based in Brisbane is that he won't get the sparring. If he was in Sydney, he could spar with the likes of Geale, Mundine & Bika. Even though they're not in Sydney he should also do some work with the likes of Danny Green & Brad Pitt.

Good luck to his management team. Hooper is the best talent we've got and I hope they do very well with him.
I'd imagine they'd send him to UK for a little while just as Browne did, there are so many talented SMWs/LHWs there to spar.
Lilo is offline  Top