View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #27
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947
Default Re: I am a boxing manager: if you have questions about the boxing biz, ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
IMO the worst promotional contract's I have seen, are just about slave contracts. Some contract are structured so that the fighter almost has no rights.
For instance most contracts include the minimum amount of purses. lets say $2500, for a four rd fight, so along comes a promoters rep into the dressing before the fight, he tell's you cos the gate or the TV money was not what they were expecting, so if you want to fight tonite, then you are going to have to take a cut in pay, lets say, $1500 less then your minimum. The fighters manager and team say "hey, our contract minimum is $2500. The rep will say yes you are right, but did you read the sentence stating "unless otherwise agreed to", then the boxer's team say, we ain't fighting for that purse, the rep will tell you, if you turn down the fight be aware that this fight counts toward our obligation to you as a fight, we offered you a fight and for whatever reason you turned it down, thats one less fight we are obligated to give you. Guess what more often then not, the fighter accepts the cut.
That doesn't surprise me, unfortunately. I think one of the most known cases of a boxer being ripped off is Tyson. I have had some interaction with a boxer who was trained by Cus around that time (not going to say who) and he told me that the way King got to Tyson was by essentially poisoning (not literally) all of Tyson's friends before going to Tyson himself.
Jdsm is offline  Top