Lennox
Foreman
Wlad
****ey
Morrison
Sanders
Ruddock
Shavers

Hard to pin it down to ten really, but the top five are lock ins I think. Marciano was a hellacious puncher P4P, but he's a little too small to go on the list, compared to some of the superheavyweights on there. Louis was an extremely sharp puncher but I'm not sure I'd call him a heavy puncher, if that makes sense. He knocked people out through pinpoint accuracy and speed. Liston was very heavy handed, but his best wins are Patterson and Williams, and I'm not sure how much can be gleaned from that regarding his power; he failed to stop Eddie Machen whom Ingo destroyed shortly after. I wouldn't grudge anyone putting him on their list though as far as the criterion goes.

Sanders I put on the list because, although he was something of a waste of talent, I can't think of a more dangerous puncher in the early stages of a fight. He dropped or rocked nearly everyone he hit clean, including Vitali and the teak tough Bert Cooper, and was the only man to drop Wlad with more or less every punch he hit him with which, believe it or not, no other fighters have been able to do, at least not consistently.

Shavers I put on for more or less the same reasons. Although he lost most of his big fights, he was capable of rocking or dropping almost anyone he hit clean, including Holmes and Ali. I don't buy into the myth that he was the hardest puncher ever, but it would be ludicrous not to include him on the list.

****ey's power speaks for itself I think. He turned Norton into a drooling mess, dropped the ultra tough Ron Lyle with a body shot and was said by Foreman to be one of the hardest punchers he ever faced. Holmes said something similar too.

Morrison and Ruddock could be exchanged for other fighters depending on what you like, though I don't think I've ever seen a more perfectly executed left hook than the one that Morrison threw.

Last edited by Absolutely!; 02-23-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Absolutely! is offline  Top