Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: I Want to Become a Slickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
Every morning I watch, on PBS, a yoga program. The woman must be 60 and she is in amazing shape, don't think she knows a thing about boxing, though. Maybe her yoga experience would help her catch on faster than other people, I don't know. I don't think that Berto's sprinting training made him a better fighter, didn't seem to, anyway. I'm all for doing whatever it takes to give yourself and edge, to make yourself better, or feel that you are better.
But if you want to be 'slick' the very first thing you need to teach is your mind, teach it to think boxing. You shadow box for real, not just throwing punches in the air. Watch yourself in the mirror (Tommy Loughran and Whitaker were among those that watched everything they did in the mirror; I think Toney did too) so you know what the opponent sees when he looks at you. When you use a shoulder feint (or foot feint etc...) in the mirror, you see what the other guy sees and then you know how he'll react. When you are 'slick' you don't react to the opponent, you cause him to have the reaction that you want him to have, then take advantage of it.
Once you begin to understand that, and integrate those thought patterns into every aspect of your training (you fight the heavy bag, not 'hit' it), then doing yoga will make you a better fighter. (Benny Leonard was doing similar things in the early 20s and before) Then you're training with a purpose and to and end. A lot of guys, in my experience, don't take that step mentally because maybe their trainer doesn't understand it himself, or maybe because it is not easy and in those cases the physical aspect of training gets way out of whack. Meaning, that instead of being a fighter that is in great shape, you become a guy that can do 1000 burpees and run 43 miles and, oh yeah, spars sometimes.
If that makes sense.
I understand what you're getting at but I think it's all important, you're not going to be good if all you do is boxing. To keep that focus and motivation when you box you need breaks from boxing, during those breaks why not do some activities that will indirectly help your boxing when you go back into the gym?
dealt_with is offline  Top