View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: 'Oscar De La Hoya's ATG ranking is similar to Pernell Whitaker's ATG ranking'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke67 View Post
I'm not sure how Whitaker "arguably" lost to Hurtado considering he knocked him out.

Pea was also past his best when he fought Oscar but he fought as well as he could, all things considered (I scored it a draw).

I regard Pernell as a more skilled, complete fighter. Oscar has a superb resume but Whitaker also dominated for a long time from 135-147.

I have a lot of daylight between them in my rankings, with Pea somewhere between 13-20 and Oscar outside the top 60.
I agree with everything you said. I also had the Pernell-Oscar fight a draw, but only because of the WBC's very questionable point deduction rule. You know, when I fighter is the recipient of an accidental foul and gets cut then the other fighter automatically loses a point. That is why I had the fight a draw, otherwise I would have had Sweet Pea one point ahead.

Also, Pernell played around too much at the end of that fight. He still got the better of Oscar, plain and simple. According to a Las Vegas Review-Journal poll of writers who covered the fight, 14 scored it for Whitaker and 11 for De La Hoya.
Abdullah is offline  Top